Mike and I have watched the whole Chosen series. We got to the series late in the game, and when we discovered it, we went on a “binge-watch.” Watching it ignited a path to healing in my heart. Witnessing the humanity of Jesus made me feel like He sees me and He gets me. I can relate to that. There were touching scenes throughout the episodes, and while artistic license was used, it truly gave the Scripture meaning and colour for me.
Even though we have seen the series, an email promotion to watch an episode each day throughout Lent sparked our desire to watch it again. Since there are 40 episodes for 40 days, it would lead us right into Holy Week.
I have to admit, there are episodes and scenes now that we both cannot recall seeing. We watched it in 2024, the year of the "Blur" for us. But then again, maybe it's much like Scripture. You can read a chapter or other portion of the bible countless times, but then one day you read it and say, "Why have I not seen that before?!" God speaks to us differently and at different times of the day, depending on what we need.
One particular scene from season 3, episode 2, still stands out clearly in my memory from the first viewing. It is where Jesus instructed the disciples to go on their missionary journey in twos. He gave them each an area to share the Gospel and the authority to speak, heal the sick, and drive out demons. You could tell from their faces that the disciples were terrified and overwhelmed by this commission.
After their meeting, little James asked to speak with Jesus privately. Little James has a disability regarding his hip, and his concern is regarding his new role of healing the sick, when he, himself, has not been healed. He essentially asks why Jesus has not healed him, given that He has healed others. Little James did not like being a burden to those around him. He was also concerned that he would not be able to travel as quickly and would slow down the journey for his partner.
Jesus acknowledged Little James and recognized his concerns. Jesus explained that each of them has something that presents a challenge, noting, with a chuckle, that Simon's temper is one of them. Jesus asks Little James if he wants to be healed, and of course, James responds with a resounding, "YES!" Jesus then tells him that He could heal him, but chooses not to because He trusts him.
I have to admit, the "trust" word threw me at first, but Jesus goes on to explain that while many require the healing to have faith and believe, how much more powerful would his testimony be because of the faith he has, despite his circumstances? Jesus goes on to say that inspiring others to have strength in weakness focuses on a more eternal perspective. He assures James that in time, he will be fully healed. He just needs to be patient. Of course, Jesus is referring to James's complete healing in heaven.
I remember watching this for the first time and identifying Jessica in the character of Little James. While we all earnestly prayed for her healing on earth, God chose not to heal her. Her experience, like James’s, showed strength despite suffering and weakness.
As a mother, her suffering was so painful to witness, but when I reflect, Jessica's faith in Jesus was reignited during her weakness. She shared Jesus with others around her. God entrusted her with that difficult journey and message, revealing the strength of her faith despite the suffering.
I remember the first time, saying to Mike, while the tears flowed, that I wish God had not trusted her so much. I still feel that in some ways, today. Perhaps for selfish reasons, because she was ultimately and perfectly healed in the presence of the Father.
As I look back on Jessica’s journey and my own, I think, “What next?” He trusted me with the message of faith in spite of my circumstances, I suppose. But when I think of my prolonged season of doubt and questioning, is that evidence of faith?
When I reflect more honestly, I believe it is. While I don’t believe God tests us, my faith has been deeply tested. I have been on the precipice of losing my faith. Not that I would ever have given up on God and my faith, but I stared into that abyss and realized how people in similar circumstances could do exactly that.
I guess that's one of the reasons I want to write a book. I want to share with others that it’s possible to wrestle with God and question His will without losing your faith. I am so thankful that He is a patient God and willing to work with me and wait for me.
No comments:
Post a Comment