Tuesday, April 22, 2025

Resurrection Sunday


I believe Easter Sunday is the most important day in the Christian calendar, even more so than Christmas. Before coming to faith in Christ, Easter weekend was one of Easter bunnies and egg hunts. Of course, this was when my children were younger. Even as they became teenagers and young adults, I would give them chocolate of some kind. But it's not about chocolate, the bunny, or Easter eggs, is it?

The trajectory changed with the Resurrection. Jesus took the punishment that was meant for us and conquered death when he rose from the dead. We are no longer slaves to sin. While we still sin, we are not bound by it; we are free! It's a difficult concept sometimes to really get your head around, but when you understand by faith, it is truly freeing. 

We took our grandchildren to see the animated film, King of Kings. It was a touching and thoughtful film about a father (Charles Dickens) sharing the story of Christ with his young son Walter, who understands and experiences it for the first time. The movie was scripturally accurate, without being too graphic for young children. 

When we left the movie, my granddaughter asked me if I cried when Jesus died. I said to her while I felt sad that Jesus had to die on Good Friday, it was the Resurrection that brought me to tears. Thankfulness of the sacrifice He made on our behalf so we can live in eternity with Him. I explained that I'm so thankful for what Jesus did that we not only get to go to heaven and to be with Him, but we will see Mama (Jessica) again, while explaining that we all still have a lot of living to do until then.  

Since the children attend a Catholic school, they have a general understanding of Christ's death and Resurrection, so it's not a foreign concept. I'm thankful they will continue to have that teaching throughout, at least their elementary years, but it is up to the adults in their life to reinforce the teachings of Jesus. Teaching is not our only responsibility; we must serve as a living example of the One who gave His life for me.  

Following Christ is not a guarantee of an easy life (by far!) but having that foundation for my grandchildren will hopefully give them the support and comfort they need in this complicated world.  

"Direct your children onto the right path, and when they are older, they will not leave it." Proverbs 22:6

#Kingofkings #theResurrection #betheexample 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Reliving

 I have shared before that I have felt called to write a book about the journey with Jessica's illness and our spiritual valleys that ac...